Cygnus Rock Band - Revival (album review) (reloaded)

This will be an interesting, little bit unusual album review, dear Reader, since usually I start talking about an album with a sort of resume, where I write my general impressions about that given work of Cygnus, and I start analyzing their songs only afterwards. But this time the summarizing review comes when all the songs are already discussed.

In fact there had been an album summary before I started to talk about Uprisa, Fenrir the wolf and the others, but... this is an interesting story and I decided that it would be better for me, for Cygnus and for humankind in general if the previously written review fell into the mysterious, dark abyss of oblivion. May it just rest in peace there. Forever.

Perhaps I can explain you why I decided that way, though the truth is that it's something deeply personal. Yet I'm convinced it all had to happen this way, and without overmistifying it, it grew into a very serious cornerstone in my life. Not exactly as it was with Death and Glory, which had a very strong spiritual message for me, but rather in my very own development as a human being. And I firmly believe it was not a co-incidence.

Death and Glory, Cygnus's 4th Viking album is a masterpiece. The entire album is dark and sublime, for me, my ears and my heart it beautifully pictures a human being's insignificance compared to the divine. It's full of wonderful songs, some of them - like Lady Hél or The Proof of Valhalla - have unique musical structures with the admiration of all that is transcendent and humane respectively; others like What Have We Done carry a message that appeared for the first time on Cygnus's albums. The aforementioned Lady Hél and The One-Eyed Wanderer both offer something special in their spirituality. 

Revival is different. While musically it continues the path Death and Glory paved, it is a deeply personal album by Cygnus. Perhaps I'm not far from the truth if I say it's the band's most personal album.
For this reason - or for other reasons, and it's only my very own thought - this album is not an easy piece. Not something you can digest immediately, right there. Sure, it's full of beautiful songs and catchy tunes, but - again my own standpoint - there's always a little feeling in the back of your head that there is something more, that you need to dig deeper in the songs, you must listen to them again and again and again, each song separated as well as the album as a whole. And even that way you will need patience. You must slow down and some may even need to do an inner reflection. For some of you it might be just a bit of meditation. For others a profound journey into your own undiscovered depths.
No, this album doesn't give itself easily. Yes, it's full of gems, and it can't wait to give them all into your hands. But it doesn't happen right there. As if the album itself also needs time to see if you're eligible for its trust. And then, when it sees that your ears, heart and mind are open enough not only to find its gems, not only to comprehend them but to be able to hold them all in your hands with the utmost love you can give, then it will reveal them to you. Slowly, shyly at first, then it grabs you and pulls you into its embrace of unearthly beauty.

Revival's artwork
(source: Facebook/cygnusrockband)

The album follows the traditions of the earlier releases, it starts with an overture. I remember, when I heard Death and Glory for the first time, its opening Daudi ok dyrd was so stunning and cinematic that I thought the band would not be able to exceed it.
Again I was wrong and I think I mentioned it a few times how I love it when Cygnus gives me a gentle nudge whenever I'm not right. Uprisa is a wonderful, complex, but most of all mature piece of work. Cygnus's trademark feature of having utmost care about all the tiny details is on peak already in the opening; and this overture is full of hidden gems and those kinds of beauty that reveals itself only when the listener's ears and heart are wide open.
The band even made a video for Uprisa:


Honestly, which other rock/metal band is cool enough and have the balls to make a music video for a symphonic overture?...

The next track gives a hit on your stomach right with the very first tunes; that kind when you lay back while a nostalgic sigh bursts out of your chest. Fenrir the Wolf is a heavy song with old-school technical thrash metal elements alloyed with Cygnus's melodic themes. A part of the series that introduces Loki and His children, Fenrir is definitely that kind of song which makes the audience jump and scream on gigs.

Imagine as hundreds of people sing together "Fenrir, giant beast, doom of the gods..." with their fists in the air....

It is followed by Sealed Fate and here, after Fenrir's catchy, metal theme 

sort of like a last easy breath before you'd jump into the deep water

we are listening to one of the most personal songs of the album.

Of course it's just my very own, personal point of view and anyone is free to clash their opinion with mine. But this song carries a message that - for my ears and my heart - subtly passes along the entire album, and that is, as the song's title says, fate. Somehow for me this subject, the presence of fate with all its responsibility, weight and doom - along with the chance to grow, by the price of pain and shedding skin - appears in every song, very often unsaid or just with a light touch, not necessarily in the lyrics of the songs but in the music, the themes and the harmonies.

But maybe only for my enchanted ears and all this above is merely my imagination playing with me.

And this song contains one of the dearest, most precious gems of the entire album.

Of course I won't tell here what it is. You listen to it and find out. No worries, it's right there, in the most non-confusable way.

The third song, The Perfect Blend is the first track that is much more than it seems first

as always, I'm not willing to use tabloid-style indicatives, because Cygnus deserves better and because there's dignity in this world

and the first one that led me into a serious inner journey. Not just a song that - as soon as you open your heart for it - grabs you and irresistibly loves you until even the last drop of sadness leaves your soul

yes, dear Reader, you saw it well, it's not you who loves the song but it's the song that loves you, that holds you in its arms until it inevitably makes you fall in love with it in the sweetest and most addictive way

but it's also beautifully composed and arranged, with a deep, elemental power of joy and lust for life that makes it the antidepressant of the album.

Hear the Call of the Gods is probably the most mysterious and one of the most personal songs of the album. I remember, when I was listening the album in the beginning, I was struggling with it. I was sure without a doubt that this song is very important and very special, but it took a very long time to be able to take a grasp on it, hold it tight to myself and not only to fall in love with it, but to be able to absorb it as well, as I do it with every single Cygnus song. This song is very unique, in its structure and harmonies as well as in melody and lyrics. You need to listen to it many times to be able to find that little gate to be able to enter the very complex, breathtakingly beautiful inner world of this song. And even when you find it and entered, you must keep your heart and ears wide open to discover every little hidden beauty - because the song is full of it.

Then comes probably the most interesting song of the entire album, which is, in addition, the song that brought me the biggest inner battles, threw me into my own darkness and eventually healed me with the most gentle hands. Walking Through the Forest of Life is a musical interlude at first glance, a tiny, two-and-a-half-minute long instrumental piece. While I bet it's just a "nice/cute/peaceful song" for many

I swear I'd love to insert here something sarcastic, but I keep myself under control, because there's someone out there whom I'd like to prove that I can be nice, too
yes, it's you :))

for me it isn't only something that had a sweeping impact on me, but I believe this is the very core of the entire album. This tiny little song that has only two instruments in it. This is the song that keeps the whole album together, and just like the tree growing out of a seed, reaching into the soil with its roots, this interlude holds together Revival just like the beating heart keeps the blood running in the veins.
Cygnus has even made a video for this song:


Valkyria Army is the song with the most beautiful lyrics Cygnus has ever written. A galloping, but very melodic theme hides the second most precious gem of the entire album.

No, I won't tell. 

You will need to open your heart very wide, because it humbly hides from the prying, suspicious or simply uncomprehending ears. It doesn't reveal itself right there.

Yes, this was another song that put me to the test and when I had to learn a lot of things about myself. What I find strange - and it probably tells a lot about me and my inner world - is that the most heartfelt, most gentle songs had the heaviest impact on me and brought me into a serious soul-searching. Those songs that were put together with the utmost love and care, those songs that are to heal without thinking, asking or even saying anything. That was, that is still their purpose. To heal, to protect and to make me - and everyone else listening them - sure that there's still some beauty in this world that is worth fighting for.  
One thing is sure.
Love heals. This album by Cygnus is the crystal clear proof for that.

The last song of the album is an unbelievable, unique experiment - and experience -, definitely the most unique Cygnus has ever made. It's a massive, beautiful, 23-minute-long song that consists of 8 parts. The Legend of Thor is a metal symphony, a real epopee performed by our two wonderful Colombians. Rock/metal parts are followed by orchestral sections; lots of different instruments appear, acoustic, electric and symphonic ones; instrumental pieces emerge between segments with the two humane voices, while the end is aethereal with a wonderful prayer.

Huge, colossal work is this slightly bit more than one hour long album. A lot of energy was invested into it, a lot of thorough work with all the smaller and greater details. Lots of thoughts and creativity to be able to build up the sometimes very complex structures of the songs. Endless studio hours to play, record, mix and arrange everything.
And it's here.
Love it. Endlessly, addicted, holding it tight to your heart.

Revival on Youtube:



Revival on Spotify:


Comments

Popular Posts