Cygnus Rock Band - What Have We Done (Death And Glory)

I think this is the only song on the album that in a sense - and I want to underline that it is only my very own, personal taste - is an odd one out in the album. I need to add quickly, that my point of view is strictly about the musical part of the song and as always, I'll be more than happy to hear other opinions.

As I mentioned in my album review, this song for me clearly carries the influence of Michael Jackson's "Earth Song", and as we know, Cygnus Rock Band has made a cover for that.
The thing is, and I will be honest, I don't like Michael Jackson. This is the reason why I still couldn't befriend this song for 100%. I don't like Michael Jackson's music; while his private life pretty much leaves me absolutely unimpressed.

I couldn't formulate better the expression "I don't give a fuck" in a diplomatic way; even this took me more effort than I originally wanted. 

The thing is, I'm aware that Michael Jackson still divides people. You either hate him and curse him or adore him, sometimes on the level of worshipping. There are very few people who are totally neutral - well, I'm one of them. Only my very own, very personal opinion is that his music, even though I'm not a fan of it, was still something to respect up to his album "Bad", but I cannot take seriously what he did afterwards. Nor "Earth Song". For my taste it's overly corny and full of commonplaces. And additionally, I don't like his voice either.
As for his private life, again I want to emphasize that I don't care about it at all. Maybe one thing to say: if an artist is known more about his or her private life matters than about his or her art, then something is deeply wrong.

But now back to our Vikings and this song.
I find the idea of the song absolutely fascinating. What is more, I think, it was high time for Cygnus Rock Band to make a song like that, that focuses on the issues of the current world we live in, simply because it's something many of us can identify with easily.

No, don't take me wrong. Ever. Please. I freakin' fuckin' LOVE, ADORE AND WORSHIP the Viking songs of Cygnus. ALL of them. Each and every single one of them. Some Viking-themed songs are especially close to my heart, like The One-eyed Wanderer or Sleipnir or Lady Hél or The Forging of Mjölnir, just to name a few. Still it was great to hear a song - again something Cygnus tried for the first time - that speaks up for something contemporary.

On one hand I can't have enough of the fact that Cygnus tried so many new things on this album, musically and lyrically as well. As I said, I absolutely admire them for touching a theme that surrounds us in our everydays. On the other hand, this very theme, the destroying of the environment, the climate change and generally how humankind slowly but surely ruins this planet is very very close to me. 

I myself live and experience the effects of climate change on a daily basis in this place where I live and even though I try to do all that I can to at least soothe the pain of Mother Earth, like trying to keep my carbon footprint as small as possible, I still watch devastated how certain people in certain positions are unwilling to take it seriously. 

Hereby I need to say it out loud: in case you are one of those who think climate change is "just weather" while you turn on the AC in your comfortable room during the summer heat, fling your ass in your car even to go to the neighbor's - while it's safe enough to go even on foot - and stuff your life with single-use plastic which you throw away right there because it's "not your problem", I ask you to leave this page. NOW. 
Simply put, I'm not, was not and will never be in the mood to argue with climate crisis deiners.

And well, again, not for the first time during listening to this album - and not for the last time either! - I had the thought that I really hope Cygnus would make more songs with such sensitive, contemporary topics on their upcoming albums.

Again my very own thought, but I would be more than curious about a song with a similar theme, but musically much more aggressive. Something that mirrors rather the wrath and bitterness caused by the negligence and greed of humankind than the sadness and despair. Something that really tears off people's faces and screams the brutal, harsh truth right into their ears.

What especially grabbed my admiration in the song was the prayer at the end; the cry of a human being in despair watching the agonizing nature around with the destruction his own species have made. I find it especially strong and powerful that Deneb is reciting it instead of singing, because this way it creates a strong contrast between the emotional first part of the song.

Musically the song is a ballad, with symphonic orchestration only. I loved the sound of the harp and the flute as well as the percussions. 

Ruxx is doing a MARVELLOUS job once again. I'm not sure if he had ever tried himself playing in classical music pieces, but I nevertheless encourage him from over here to take a chance if he is given one day. Since he is very talented and versatile, I'm sure he would very quickly find his place and despite the strict rules of classical music he would be more than fantastic. 
Another idea to make a drum improvisation for classical pieces - well, in case it doesn't sound too wicked :)

One more thing about the contrasts in the song; it appears between the singing of our two bards, though I'm not sure if this part was done by them intentionally or it's just simply as it happened, but Deneb's deep, warm voice makes a fantastic contrast with Ruxx's very sharp, powerful singing.
Additionally, I'm not sure - and if I'm wrong, definitely correct me - but I think this is the first song released by Cygnus Rock Band that is entirely symphonic, without electric instruments. Sure, we have another entirely acoustic song on the album, but that's a different kind; that one is acoustic, this one is sympohonic, they aren't in the same street. 

This song, dear Reader, is another landmark in Cygnus's musical career, for all these reasons mentioned above: for the contemporary - and very important - topic, for the orchestration and for the visible and subtle contrasts. I can only repeat myself: I'm really, really looking forward for more, I need more, we need more, dear Colombian wolves, please, don't hold yourselves back!


Comments

Popular Posts