Cygnus Rock Band - Sleipnir (home office version)

Right in the very beginning of this post I have to admit something to you, dear Reader: my all-time favorite Cygnus Rock Band album is "Fire and Tales". I quickly need to underline though, before anyone would take me wrong

(because people LOVE to take each other wrong and it's a fact)

that each and every Cygnus Rock Band album is equally dear to me and I couldn't live without them, with no exception. Still, "Fire and Tales" is somehow special; probably because of the many mythology-themed, beautifully written and arranged songs.

The second song of "Fire and Tales" is 'Sleipnir'

(no, I won't get into details about who or what Sleipnir is, you have the technology in your hand, be nice and google it, if you don't know)

and the song melts your heart right in the very beginning with the sound of the tiple and all the percussions. But this is just the beginning, because as it continues, the symphonic instruments (an entire string quartet - yes, real and very talented musicians, playing real instruments! I find it very important to note it, because knowing how technology can substitute literally anything now, the appearance of actual human effort, talent and knowledge is a treasure, especially in music) enter as well making a wonderful combination with the guitars and drums.

I remember, earlier I had often felt aversive when I heard symphonic rock or metal bands, because I had the impression that the symphonic and rock instruments fail to support each other, as if they were separated, despite playing the same melody. Sure, I accept gladly that I might have always bumped into the wrong bands and after 1 or 2 negative impressions I preferred to avoid them completely. Then came Cygnus Rock Band and they didn't only change my opinion about metal music with symphonic orchestration but also taught me to appreciate it - not just the music itself but the enormous work behind it all.
By the way, this is not the only thing Cygnus has taught me. I will share more hilarious details with you later!

This video was released about a year after the birth of "Fire and Tales", in May, 2021, during the pandemic, while all the restrictions and lockdowns were in effect. If I'm not wrong and remember well (but if I'm wrong, do correct me in the comment section), this video was made especially for Castaldi Festival, an Italian rock festival that was supposed to be held online in that year. 

(It's just so great to see them like this, isn't it? 😍)

Here I want to take the advantage and draw the Reader's attention on Ruxx's performance. (At the end of the post you will find the YouTube-video of this song, but DO NOT scroll down yet, kindly read what I want to say about my favorite drummer-singer.) Watch him playing and singing at the same time. This fact by itself is something to admire, there aren't many drummers in the history of rock who decided to be singers as well. (Or at least to do backing vocals.) But take a good look at the video. There are parts in the song, not just one but more, when you can see Ruxx playing different rhythm patterns with his hands, MEANWHILE he plays another pattern with his legs MEANWHILE he is singing.
I think you understand now why he is my favorite drummer-singer.

(No, I'm not interested in the "opinion" of those who call themselves "experts". First, if you think you're an expert, then you're not. Second, try and do the same. If you can do it flawlessly, with all the playing and singing, then I might listen. The "might" is the keyword though. FYI.)

The lyrics are a wonderful glorifying prayer for Sleipnir describing his mightiness, power and deeds. Deneb and Ruxx are singing it in a duet and this is that case of which I always say, only those can sing songs like this with such devotion, emotions and faith who really experienced it all. For this - and not only for this - these musicians have all my respect.


Comments

Popular Posts