Cygnus Rock Band - Odin's Wolves (Ancient Visions)

So many fond memories about this song.
I still remember it all, as if it was yesterday. It was 14th August in 2021, a killer, very hot summer day with 35°C or so during the day. Way too much for my worn-out Eastern European head. I was laying on the floor, that was the only place where I could bear the heatwave, every other place - bed, chair, anything - was just too hot to cope with. My brain was slowly dripping out of my head through my ears and I was very close to my most serious collapse I've ever had in my life.
I just got to know a very exciting and very talented Colombian band that popped into my IG-feed with their Rammstein-cover. I could even talk to them, I got to know Deneb's legendary warm-heartedness and hospitality.

I remember, during my life I tried to reach out to my favorite bands time after time. In the beginning it was this classic "fan mail" with postal letters; then via internet, then through social media sites. Sometimes I got a reply, sometimes my approaches remained unanswered (regardless of being snail mail or an FB/IG comment). I didn't mind it though, I knew well that these people have an often overwhelming daily schedule and answering fans' letters/comments is sometimes out of their priority.
And then I arrived at this South American folk metal band and I got such a welcome - even though I have never ever talked to them beforehand - as if I was an old friend who arrived home after a long abscence.
It touched me very deeply and I still can't forget it. I don't even want to. I haven't experienced this warm-hearted reception even from family members or friends, and it was beyond my dreams to be welcomed this way by a band that was (at that time) aspiring to get among my favorite ones. It was one of a kind. It was so affectionate yet so genuine that demolished several walls in me right there (some of these walls were built through years to be thick and unshakable; they were gone within seconds). I remember how awed I was and after a shy but happy talk with everyone's favorite bassist I promised him to listen to their own songs as well.

I remember when Deneb told me during this conversation that they were playing Viking/folk metal, I felt a slight revulsion. 

here comes the confession part

The truth is, I had never liked folk metal, nor Viking metal. There had been, there still are a LOT of bands that play folk metal, but the truth is, in my opinion they are 99% posers. Especially those that wear special costumes on stage or for photo sessions. None of these bands' music could ever catch me, and for my taste their appearance is a laughing matter.
As for Viking metal, the thing is, up to that point those bands I got to know playing Viking metal were either into melodic death or (mostly) black metal. The latter ones had very often hidden neo-Nazi ideas, too, in their lyrics (many Norwegian and Swedish bands of this kind are out in the world unleashed) and while I totally despise everyone (musician or not) who uses the ancient Norse mythology to justify his own micropenis disorder, I find especially black metal with its 200-250 bpm musically totally immature; it's more a sports performance than music.

feel free to hate me for this, I won't change my opinion

So, perhaps this way you understand why I was a bit worried before hitting "Play" on Spotify. I really, really didn't want to say anything bad or negative to this band's own music after this absolutely heart-melting welcome and genuine kindness. I remember I was already composing some diplomatic sentences to say to this very lovely bass player to hide my most probably negative feelings for their music like "well, it's really very interesting" and "I'm very glad for the opportunity to get to know you"

with all the prejudices I had in myself

and then I took a deep breath and hit "Play".
It was "Odin's Wolves", the first song Spotify offered me to listen to on the band's profile.
I clearly remember the moment. I was standing at a pedestrian cross at one of the roads of my town

I left the apartment, it was just too hot inside as the evening approached

and as the song started, the intro hit me very heavily. I couldn't even start to walk as the traffic lights switched to green for me, because I was gasping for breath. I got a full blast. Then, as I could continue putting my legs in front of each other again, "Odin's Wolves" slowly started to wash the fears and prejudices from me and I remember I thought "why can't these fat, poser European folk and Viking metal bands play like THIS?!?!"

"Odin's Wolves" starts with a very heavy intro; it hits the listener right there, and not just once but twice: the guitar smashes into the face, while the rhythm section punches you into the groints with the power of a wrecking ball.
None of them apologizes.
The song follows the traditions of some old-fashioned, classic power metal tracks; as we say it in my mother tongue, it has got a "galooping" rhythm.

If you listen to it, you will understand what I mean.

What I find the most fascinating in it that while it is as heavy as a herd of bewildered mûmaks, it's stil very melodic and a very serious earworm. Excellent way to catch the attention of a doubtful listener!

And it's still just the intro...

The song then changes into its heavy, power metal flavored, strong, galooping theme with the rhythm section slowly but surely growing into the cardinal factor of it all. Even at this point you already hear the bass's gruntling, flowing absolutely in line with the drums. Even though the song has influences from a sound that - for my ears - bears the marks of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, it's still technical, very complex, very creative while hails to the great predecessors.

And it's still the beginning.

I remember, the next hit into my face back then came when Deneb started to sing "Together our souls form a clan..." not just for the lyrics themselves but also for that power and passion in his voice. 

That was the point when I thought first "why can't these fat European cats do it like that? Why can't they make music with such passion, fire and genuineness? Why do I have to walk til Colombia to find a REAL Viking band?"

The heavy, galooping theme doesn't just continue during the first stanza. The rhythm section grows into more and more determining, leaving a relatively narrow place for the guitars, but honestly, that's what this song requires.
If I remember well, around the first chorus I declared myself as a new fan for this band. The simple, yet very powerful "wolf pack vocals" (again from my mother tongue) in the refrain totally bought me. 

What I especially found heart-warming was that this music is full of instruments that blend in together in a wonderful harmony. At this time I was listening to mostly industrial music with heavy samplers and fully distorted vocals; this was the point when I first realized how much it means that real human beings are playing real, human-made instruments instead of a row of computer-controlled noises. 
Yes, this was the point when my opinion took a 180-degree-turn about folk metal. Something I would have never thought to happen, but it happened. This was the first time Cygnus Rock Band proved that I was wrong, but far not the last time. And every time they prove that I was wrong has been in a sense a time of my life, because I realized every time that I missed out something beautiful from my life (e.g. with their Robbie Williams cover or simply proving that a cover can be much better than a holy cow original song).

Ruxx continues with the second stanza (in between there's a totally heart-warming, eye-wetting bridge) and I remember I was full of happiness listening to him singing "Who of you be with us, cunning and loyal?". I felt like founding a new gemstone.

And I was right!!!

You know... when you realize you fell in love or when you see you found something nobody around you has ever spotted yet. A door opens for you to a brand new, undiscovered world - and it's yours. And you keep it close to your heart.
The next chorus totally sweeps you off your feet - very powerful, yet very melodic and you won't be able to get it out of your head for a long time, I can assure anyone.
But then comes the solo.
What makes it very interesting and unique is that again - for my ears - it's in fact ruled by the rhythm section, but most of all by the bass. The solo itself is excellent with many virtuoso tricks and parts, perfectly fitting in to the song. Yet the bass shines through the solo in such a demanding way, with such an assertive and absolutely nuclear power that you can't not hear it.

even though I know many of you out there still can't hear it 😞

That's what I love; I'm sure during the chorus Deneb somehow managed to quickly rub that radioactive material they hide in the studio into the strings and now he doesn't even warn you, he just walks through you with the power of a caterpillar-chained loader full of enriched polonium.
And you fkin enjoy it.

The drum is as punctual as an atomic clock while the solo squeezes the remainings out of you.

Don't panic; it doesn't hurt. On the contrary. You didn't even notice and you have already put the song on replay.
Soon you'll be addicted. I know, this is how it started with me, too 😊

The chorus returns then with all its beauty, slight cinematic touches

the orchestration!!!

yes, it does have orchestration, a BEAUTIFUL orchestration - no, I'm not surprised you didn't hear it 😒

to ultimately knock you out.
You will beg for more, I can make you sure about it.
No amount will be enough.
And you will be happy.



Comments

Popular Posts