Rammstein - Sonne (tribute)

This was the first review I wrote for the section "Weekend Viking Vibes" I created with the idea to write every Saturday a review about a song or cover by Cygnus Rock Band. My idea behind it was and still is that people forget easily, and if they are not reminded constantly about how many wonderful things they are surrounded by, they tend to live their entire life not just in a dull, depressive grayness overlooking the beauty they are surrounded with, but also taking all these beautiful things for granted, especially when they get it for free.

(admit it, you're just like that, too 😒)

And I admit, honestly, with my hand on my heart that Cygnus Rock Band IS the source of beauty, art and music in my life

(that's why I made this blog among others)

and every time I watch in awe whatever these talented Colombian rockers make, knowing how much time, energy, dedication and devotion they invest into every single note they play and sing. I have the better-or-worse hidden intention to talk about it here with the hope that others' eyes may open to it all, too.
This song or rather cover was my first encounter with them, so it has got a very special place in my heart. I remember, at first I thought they were a Rammstein tribute band, from the simple reason that this cover was - is!!! - so professional-sounding, so well-arranged with tangible professionalism behind it that blew my mind right there. I remember, I was especially blown when I got to know that these musicians don't speak German at all, still they took the time and energy to gain enough language skills to be able to make this cover. What is it if not dedication?...

I talk about it this detailed because I have seen more than enough Rammstein tribute bands. There are all kinds, from all nations, some are absolutely professional, even doing the same pyrotechnics on their shows, some are openly a hobby band just to spend time and have fun with friends while playing their favorite band's music. Some are really cool, some are better to forget. 
I think you can imagine my surprise and joy when - after seeing a number of bands from the latter group mentioned above - I saw these Colombians and their Rammstein-tribute. Being their new fan wasn't even a question.

This cover is in fact a tribute, as it's also mentioned in the video title, because they don't play the entire song - if you give a listen, the last verse of the original song ("Die Sonne scheint mir aus den Händen/Kann verbrennen, kann dich blenden") was left out. I can guess only, but probably the two verses + all choruses without this 3rd verse/bridge were far enough for the band to play - when you have to sing in a foreign language you don't speak, and when this language has these very specific pronunciation rules like German, you need to stick to certain boundaries. (as someone who speaks German as well, I can totally understand it)
Apart from this not too significant detail Cygnus Rock Band made a perfect cover. Compared to the original that is dark, industrial, raw and cold, this version - while containing all the darkness of the Germans - is in a sense even more evil. Probably from the guttural vocals of both Ruxx and Deneb, while I personally really enjoy the considerably heavier presence of the rhythm section. I will honestly admit here, this is what I really miss in Rammstein's music; their drummer Christoph Schneider talked often about it that he prefers to be just a kind of "engine" for the band, putting away his personal ambitions, while bassist Oliver Riedel is this "gray eminence" doing what is needed, but being forever in the background in every sense. While I don't want to question the talent, dedication and hard work of these musicians, I remember listening to this cover was the moment when I realized how much the rhythm section, it's presence or abscence can mean to a song. 
Because in this song, dear Readers, the bass gruntles deep, the presence of the drums and percussions is sharp and rough, and get ready to be smeared on the wall after the first listening.
But this is still not all.
The ending of the original song is a bunch of samplers made by Rammstein's keyboard player Flake. Orchestral sounds, the sound of a humane voice, we all know that. But Cygnus made it all with actual, real instruments. No samplers. No computers. Nothing. Real, living musicians playing real instruments. I won't drop any spoilers. You will be nice and watch it until the end.


Comments

Popular Posts