Tokio Hotel - Monsoon (cover)

I have to confess to you, dear Reader, there was a time when I was actually listening to Tokio Hotel. And it was even in my adult years. No worries though, I didn't become a fan

be sure I would confess if I had, there isn't anything shameful in that

on one hand I started to learn German at that time and I wanted to listen to German-language music, and Tokio Hotel was at their peak in those years, around 2009. On the other hand I was simply curious what the Kaulitz-twins offered to all those screaming teenagers around the world who very quickly became their die-hard fans, regardless of their nationality or whether they spoke German or not. 

Perhaps there was another reason as well. Those years were a nasty period in my life. Depression, overwhelming responsibilities, struggling alone against the world, a completely useless and pointless psychotherapy that made it all just worse and these bit gloomy, bit sentimental songs by these four boys somehow fitted for my mood. 

I remember, eventually I couldn't find out what was that very thing which they found their way to the hearts of millions of youngsters with; meanwhile I got hooked on Rammstein, so I quickly forgot about these kids from Magdeburg.
Remembering back their music, it's only my very own point of view and anyone is free to say theirs and to discuss it with me; I think they actually didn't give anything new to the world, neither musically, nor in their lyrics. Probably they are the perfect example of being at the right place in the right time. There's nothing wrong with that though; as long as they enjoy making music and there are people who enjoy their music, there is always a place for them in the music world.

When this cover of Cygnus Rock Band found me, I was again going through a very hard period in my life, probably the hardest ever. Family tragedies, family hardships, plus all the difficulties of the pandemic. I collapsed. I spent weeks being stuffed with benzodiazepines to avoid doing anything I might regret later. As a result I was like a zombie and I slept 15 hours a day. I just couldn't carry all that goddamned weight anymore.

I already knew Cygnus Rock Band at that time. I was already aware of how very talented musicians they are and how warm-hearted and welcoming they are towards their fans. For that point they even changed my mind about folk metal, something I thought would never happen, but if you follow this blog regularly, you could already see numerous times thaty they proved I was wrong, and those were the happiest moments of my life. It was the same with folk metal, though I think this will be the subject of another review.
I remember clearly those benzodiazepine-soaked days. I barely knew my own name. I was the embodiment of a slow motion video. Believe me, it was awful. The worst was that even though I was sedated to the level of an unicellular, the pain was still there. I was suicidal, but too slow even to move my limbs. I wanted to let go of all. Literally all. And this was going on for 3 goddamned weeks. 3 weeks needed to pass for all these chemicals to actually start to work.
The most interesting thing was, and this is something very personal and intimate; something I barely mention to anyone, and even now I'm hesitating to talk about it. I still want to write it down here, because this entire story, not just this review but my entire story with Cygnus Rock Band actually depended on this.
During those 3 weeks when I was pretty much like a bouquet of spinach, facing some really nasty depressive episodes, I really wanted to let go of all, as I mentioned. All. By all I really mean all. All that mattered, all that was important, people, thoughts, dreams, beliefs, memories. Everything. I just wanted it to end somehow, and I thought, if ending means my actual, physical death, then may it be, I can't stand it anymore.
And there was a tiny, soft voice inside of me. It whispered into my ears time after time asking me "what about that Colombian band?". It wasn't nagging me, it didn't try to make me feel guilty, it was just curious. I didn't answer. 
Then those 3 weeks passed. My meds' dosage was successfully set and I felt like a human being again. And this time I could answer that curious, soft voice inside of me.
I remember, it was the first day of October; in fact almost on this day 2 years ago. It was Friday, one of those magical Fridays when Cygnus Rock Band released a cover to pass time during the lockdown, but before the release they always had a live session on Instagram where fans had to find out the actual cover's original performer and the song title. That Friday was when they released this Tokio Hotel cover, but I have to admit to you, dear Reader, for me at that point it was secondary. The most important was the fantastic, amazing, adorable and hilarious company of these two musicians, Deneb and Ruxx; Deneb eating green mango with salt and lemon juice openly and unbashfully enjoying it, enthusiastically explaining us how delicious it was (while us, European fans desperately tried to find a substitute for green mango, because over here even non-green mangoes are a rarity or they are just too expensive - Deneb very kindly and generously suggested us that we can try it then with green apple, but with this sour kind; hereby I confess I still owe it to Deneb to try it out with green apple, but as soon as I can buy this sour type in the nearest grocery store, I will make a mess out of myself!), in the meantime Ruxx was drawing something with a wide grin; that was the time I got to know that he is also a tattoo artist, he was doing a new design during that live session. And I remember, crawling out of the 3-week-long, massive half-coma, zombie state and darkness I was just watching these two wonderful and talented men with awe, and I thought "here is the answer for my questions... it is worth fighting for, it is worth going through this hell, because this joy these men present here really does exist, right in front of my eyes, this unvarnished, straightforward delight in the simple things of life like something delicious, good music and good company. And these men are the example that this really exists." This gave me the strength to get through this and actually to be here, now, as I am. I can thank it all to Cygnus Rock Band. Not to the chemicals, not to the doctors, but to music.

I told all this to you to understand why this cover has got such a deep importance for me. I think it's not an exaggeration to say that my current life depended on it.

I remember how hilarious I found back then, at the release of this cover that Cygnus added "male version" to the title. Well, let's be honest, we are talking about a bunch of 15-16-year-olds versus four grown-up, bearded, muscular men. It's not even a question the latter ones are alpha males compared to these bois. But we know Cygnus Rock Band and how much they never get into halfway measures, either they do something 120% or not at all.

One of the many reasons I love them.

So, they took this song, which was tuned for teenage hearts by teenagers, and they soaked it into testosterone.

Probably this was another reason why this cover had such a deep impact on me, this bold and upfront masculinity that was like a balm on my wounds.

The cover starts with firm drums and electric guitar. No light-hearted, low-key caressing of the percussions or the guitar strings, it's determinated and commands respect right at the beginning. The bass joins them immediately and this time it doesn't even need any nuclear charging, its default sound carries the song on its massive shoulders

okay, no radioactivity this time, but a considerable amount of testosterone definitely

and Deneb starts to sing.
Your jaw will drop.
Sure, as I said earlier, it's easy to be more masculine than the 15-16-year-old Tom Kaulitz. Though I'm sure you know what I mean if I say it's not only about having hair on your face, chest and elsewhere and to sing with a deeper voice.
It's been an overused commonplace, chewed off of its bones a million times, but this cover is the proof that masculinity comes from the inside. Of course, you can have a beard grown down to your chest, you can have a voice deeper than a coal mine, you still have to live and breath your male power

no, I'm not willing to get into any feminism-related talk. We are all healthy adults here with responsibility. If you have heart and soul, you know what I'm talking about. If you feel triggered, then just leave, no one will be mad at you.

to be able to perform it with such a quiet but still deep intensity as these men do. Deneb is singing, with determination, his voice is full of emotions and tension, but lacks the melodrama and sentimentalism of the original song. He gets support by Reny

even the keyboard harmonies are much more direct and distinct than in the original

and the truth is, I have to confess it to you, dear Reader, my heart shakes every time hearing him singing the chorus. For me this chorus is the essence of Deneb's voice, his vocals and generally what he's like as a singer; in these 7 lines all the flavors, all the shades of his voice manifest, from sweeping passion and power through heart-melting emotions 

talking about masculinity, these things are those only real men have the courage for to take on 
and no, I'm not getting into any debate about it

to soft whispering.

So, if anyone needs any demonstration on why Deneb is one of my favorite singers (the other one is Ruxx), I will show this chorus to them. 7 lines, a myriad of emotions. No further explanation needed.

Ruxx continues and for him it's something he shakes out of his pinky finger (as we say it in my mother tongue for things you do with ease and routine). 

I love the contrast his rock/blues soaked voice makes with Deneb's rich baritone. Yes, I know I have written about it many times, but it's something I can't emphasize enough, how these two musicians complete each other both in the studio/on stage and as human beings as well. Rawness vs. delicacy, rough vs. soft, pain vs. soothing, and both with depth, passion and dedication.
Have I mentioned how I love them both?...

Reny accompanies him faithfully with his keyboards, backed by the forever elegant Blu and the rock steady rhythm section.
And how great it feels to hear Ruxx's rough, powerful scream at the end of the chorus compared to the original version's.... well... "scream" 😁

This is also a small demonstration of why I love Ruxx's vocals this much. Yes, he can also sing softly, with emotions, but his real power lays in letting his voice flow, allowing it to rise up high, showing the rough, sharp, rock/blues-edged gem he has in his throat. And here Ruxx turns from slow and emotional into a screaming rock god within seconds.

Deneb joins him for the bridge, and then comes the solo which is not just great and sweeping in itself

especially compared to the shoegazing "solo" of the original song

but the fact I especially love is that after the guitar the keyboards also get a chance to show themselves. Blu doesn't hold himself back, he crashes you to small pieces, you can have the chance only for a polite smile as you get torn happily.
And then comes Reny.
I can only guess whose idea this was to add a keyboard solo to this cover, but the one that came up with it deserves a hug. And during both solos the rhythm section 

finally getting nuked!!!!

ensures the listener to receive the long-awaited, well-deserved radioactive dosage. What is more, Blu and Reny even have the energy

we're talking about MEN, and not bois

to play a kind of musical conversation with their solos, while the drums and the bass are holding them on their shoulders. They are giving the listener together that catharsis which is the trademark of all Cygnus Rock Band songs and covers. 

I fkin love when they let their creativity flow.

After this, when you're swept off your feet, got torn to tiny pieces and feel absolutely happy, the song quietens down with Deneb's vocals, just to regain its power for the last chorus which the two Colombians sing together. They bring the very best out of themselves, Ruxx's rusty voice is flowing, Deneb's vocals display all the shades of a late summer sunset. And since we are talking about Cygnus Rock Band, a band that ALWAYS gives 120%, they have energy for another catharsis as the song ends.

Male version, it is!

As for you, dear listener, you stay torn into pieces and restart the song.
No, in fact you have set it long ago for repeat.




Comments

Popular Posts