Cygnus Rock Band - Berserkers (Yggdrasil)

I would give an arm and a leg to find out how the intro was recorded for this song. And it's not the only song on Yggdrasil album that has such an exciting intro (or outro) which for sure has got a very interesting background story.

The battlefield noises. The blades. The horn.
I'm sure these stories would make an entire book.

The other thing that keeps my thoughts busy... well, it might be only me again. But somehow I have the feeling that this song somehow relates to The Great Heathen Army

Musically speaking, of course. Both are war songs, both with a galloping metal theme. Both have special, unusual choruses (compared to the other songs of the album) and their theme/harmony is also unique. Of course I keep it up that it might be my ears only. But I still have a sense that these two songs walk hand in hand.
As always, please, feel free to correct me.

And just a shy question.
But do I hear well an early but amazing and beautifully built Royal Theme™?
Seriously. What a creativity. I love it. I love them. I know I've said it a million times, but I can't say it enough.

I can only imagine what a surprise it could be for the early fans of Cygnus to see and hear this huge swift in the music. Of course there had been signs earlier, too, for changes

sure, I know the earlier stages of their musical swift
it was cool, badass and sexy even then
no, I won't tell you 😒 

but this, dear Reader, this very song is a gem, and let me guess, barely any person has ever realized it.

For Odin's sake, this very first Viking album is already a compilation of great ideas, creativity and uniqueness of two wonderful, skilled and talented Colombian rockers. How can you not love them?...

Deneb starts to sing the song and again I need to stop here to confess how very much I love his voice in their early material.

Fresh. Energetic. Full of hope. Full of dreams. Enthusiastic. Brave. And at the same time I can't not see that huge path he walked for being what he is today. Listen to him in any song from Revival or Death and Glory. Or listen to him singing in the Robbie Williams cover. Deep. Mellow. Rich. Warm. Full of flavors. Full of emotions. Expressive. Comforting. Soothing. Powerful. 
A proof for what happens when you REALLY want to bring the best out of yourself. May his development be an example for everyone feeling stuck in their journey.

His voice is accompanied by the tiple and the guitar, the latter one keeps spreading a beautiful theme even after the humane voice quietens.
Ruxx takes it over, his trademark dusty-smoky sharp tenor is distinctive even at this point. The tiple quietens as we reach the bridge. The tempo slows down, just to let the chorus break through with its choir.

This is again worth at least one thick volume in the "Special and Amazing Cygnus Stories" book. How it was built up. How they applied the Royal Theme™ for the chorus. How they recorded it with the warriors' choir. Knowing myself, one story would bring a handful more questions about the details, that would lead to more stories, that would bring more questions... I would definitely love it though 😊

The Royal Theme™ continues, now the guitar is singing it. Deneb's voice returns

enthusiastic, energetic, fiery

along with the tiple. Ruxx immediately takes it over, this time without any short interlude

dusty, harsh, powerful

and this time Deneb sings the bridge, continued by the epic chorus/choir.

The solo is again very special. 
I swear I hear something under the tiple. Very humble, very quiet, but determines the sound. I would say, for my ears it sounds like a bagpipe, but I'm not sure.

My other thought is that it's the tiple, but some secret studio magic was applied to double its sound and give it a distorted taste. But I'm even less sure about it than in the one above.

Whatever it is, it gives a very special atmosphere to the song. Wonderful, very creative idea and definitely one of the hidden gems of the song as well as the album.
And the warriors' choir along with it!

The guitar then arrives and its virtuosity sweeps the listener off of the feet. 

This. 
The Royal Theme™. 
The wonderful, unique chorus. 
The subtle belonging to the album's previous song.
The atmosphere.
This song is one of the gems of the album.

The chorus returns for the end of the song, so you can admire it, soak it up, absorb it and worship it one more time.
In fact any time you wish. Just put it on repeat.


Comments

Popular Posts