The Rasmus - Jezebel (cover)

This is one of the many perfect examples when a cover is better than the original.

The truth is, I'm by default not a fan of The Rasmus, nor the entire alternative/goth rock genre. I confess though, back then, some time in the mid-2000's I liked HIM for a short while, but somehow this scene couldn't have a deeper impact on me. The music was interesting, but this dark romantic world of their lyrics wasn't of my taste. Additionally, after a while their songs started to resemble each other too much. Obviously the rather narrow possibilities of the sub-genre didn't really allow musicians to let their creativity flow.
I remember, when HIM first got into the spotlight in the late 90's, a lot of other, similar-sounding bands appeared soon after them, e.g. 69 Eyes, Fields of the Nephilim or The Rasmus. I gave a listen to a few of them, but for me - personal point of view, not carved into stone - all of them was a HIM-copy. In Rasmus's case I even found the singer's voice slightly annoying as well.

And then came these two Colombian rockers along with their Mexican brothers, took this song and soaked it first into radioactive material, then they poured a nice amount of testosterone on it.

Perfect combo. Let's name it "Cygnus cocktail".

By default the intro kicks in hard. Blu doesn't just tickle the strings of his guitar but he's really giving here, at the very beginning a tough, powerful kick to the song. You already feel that these musicians are up to something really serious.
Then the rhythm section enters.

Those who've been following my blogposts know that this is my soft spot. Cygnus's rhythm section, the core, the essence of this band, the origo. The phenomenon that sweeps me off my feet. 

Ruxx gives the cover a heavy load with the cymbals. The (for my ears) slightly anaemic original song this way gets a much more metal sound. Then the bass gruntles up and you already know that this will be something extraordinary.

(in some languages it's also called "better than the original" or "the best thing that could happen to this song")

And then Deneb starts to sing.
The more I listen to this cover, the more I sense some subtle playfulness in his voice. Correct me if I'm wrong though, but behind his usual, well-known, rich and mellow baritone 

and this baritone includes all the emotions a song like this is supposed to have, the desire, the spite, the passion, the frustration, the gentleness, the rejection
and all of them with a genuineness that's always his character, in every song and every cover, from Robbie Williams's piece of beauty through the sweeping passion of The Proof of Valhalla to Bon Jovi's evergreen. In my opinion his vocals play a key role about this cover being much more manly and full-blooded than the original song.

I sense a hidden wide smile.
For me, for my ears this subtle playfulness makes this cover even more exciting and special.

Reny joins the bridge with harmonies just to lead it into the sweeping chorus.
I especially like the idea that the chorus is supported even at this point with backing voicals, unlike the original song. This way it's much more dynamic, much more "metal"

and yes, much more manly

than Rasmus's version. 

It continues in this manner; the song is being built up slowly, now the second stanza is backed by the rhythm section. Deneb's voice is flowing, he lets his vocals play around and what makes me fall for them is the confidence he's doing it all with. His singing is leading the song, all other instruments are marching behind it. This is that kind of cover where the musicians can all show their confidence and experience, while making a vicious, robust version out of a well, rather forgettable song.

For the very end Ruxx lets his talent sparkle up, giving a beautifully brutal piece of kickdrums to the last chorus. The bass is walking by its side, they together make a short but intense catharsis to the end of the song.

Dear everyone,
this is how you make METAL out of the given ingredients.
Thank you for your attention.



Comments

Popular Posts