Rainbow - Stargazer (tribute)

This is one of my favorite covers by Cygnus Rock Band. Not just because I by default LOVE Rainbow and for me personally Ronnie James Dio (and Ritchie Blackmore, too) are gods and not just because the original song is a masterpiece in itself.

The thing is, when I got hooked on this cover, I kept listening to it for one massive week in a row. I didn't listen to anything else during that time, not even Cygnus's other songs or covers. Only this one cover, again and again, on repeat, I don't know how many times. It was like a drug. It still is. Once I hear it, even just the intro, it hits me hard and won't let me go.
And I fkin enjoy it.

Rainbow is again a band I won't get into details about. You know them. It's not a question, it's indicative. Every member of this band is a legend, they did way much more for rock music you could ever imagine. If you still don't have them in your life despite all these, then I kindly ask you to return back to your own galaxy and don't bother with life on Earth.

I remember I said it quite a few times here, but I need to emphasize it once again, and knowing myself, I will do it again, because on one hand I know how forgetful you people out there are, how very much you are not aware of how much work, dedication, heart and soul the creation a song (or in our case a cover) requires while on the other hand it feels so good writing it down again and again; it needs a LOT OF courage to cover - and to touch in general - a classic song like this from a classic band like Rainbow. Songs like this have been in our collective minds deeply for decades, generations grew up on them and well, let's be honest, even though many bands tried to cover them, the vast majority of these covers are mediocre, if not simply bad. 

I nevertheless envy these bands, and especially those semi-talentless singers for their self-confidence to still perform this song while being on the level they are. 

Cygnus Rock Band had the courage, the dedication, devotion and respect to cover this song. And as always, every single time they've made such a thing, this time they also made it.
Yes. It's better than the original. 
Even though the original includes the one and only Ronnie James Dio and Ritchie "Mfkin God" Blackmore.

They started it with that very thing they know the best: the empowered, nuclear rhythm section.
You can also hear immediately in the intro

in case you have ears and brain 😒

that Reny adds Hammond organ sounds to the song.

These men pretty much know what they can sweep me off my feet with. Massive rhythm section, nuclear bass and Hammond organ. And the rest is on the way! 💓

Ruxx is singing this cover and this is one of his best ever performances. Hands down and hats off. This song allows him all the space to let his powerful, rock/blues/soul infected tenor voice flow and he doesn't hold himself back. Deneb, Blu and Reny are all pushing him, and Ruxx unleashes all the forces he has got hidden in his throat.
And of course in the meantime he plays the drums as well, with radioactive drumsticks.

As the song goes on, Ruxx manifests more an more of his vocal abilities; he screams, he does his trademark legatos

and for everyone's great joy he doesn't peddle it out, on the contrary, he gives them out without stinting

yes, for your joy, too
no, I didn't ask whether
it's your joy, too, period

his voice rises up to heights he barely used before

it's Ronnie James Dio, baby!
and Ruxx

and for the whole time Reny supports with the Hammond organ carpets, Blu playing Blackmore's riffs with his usual elegance and professionalism and Deneb is holding it all on his shoulders while letting his bass gruntle like a flock of radioactive wild boars.

"nuke them" button on the max

Interesting, I feel the solo a tiny bit different than the original. No need to worry though, the difference can be barely heard and even though it's not the solo of the original song note by note, it still fits perfectly for the cover. 

Of course, I can be wrong and I keep this up. This is only what I hear with my own ears and I have only slight ideas about the difficulty level of Blackmore's solos. Blu does an enormous job in this cover, as always, showing his great routine, his skills and his versatility and my opinion is that here in this cover it's about his creativity as well.

The 3rd stanza continues with Ruxx's enormous, sweeping voice, the massive bass, the Hammond sound and the powerful guitar line. In this part of the song Ruxx already allows himself his very well known drumming tricks

I call them "thunderbolts"

all the crashes and sudden switches, making the listener feel that the catharsis is coming.
And it does.
It happens when the orchestra enters.

no, I won't tell you when and where, you kindly open your ears, keep listening and use your brain once it's grown at the upper end of your backbone 😒

This is the secret of this song (besides the rhythm section of course).
Yes, the original song also includes orchestration. The difference is - at least for my ears - is that in the original song the orchestra blends in with the guitar and the bass, here in Cygnus's version the orchestration takes over the lead and rules the last part of the song together with the humane voice.

I get goosebumps every time I hear it. For me this is the clear sign of the genius of these two men, Ruxx and Deneb and how much they understand each other, musically as well as human beings.

The end of the cover video speaks volumes as Ruxx looks in front of himself with an exhausted face. This song required superhumane efforts and abilities from these musicians.
And they made it.
Now you nicely turn on the volume and worship them.



Comments

Popular Posts