Backstreet's Balls - Everybody (Backstreet Boys cover)

It was just a few days ago that I discussed it here how much I have never been a fan of these boy bands, on the contrary. For me it has never been appealing or attractive to watch 4, 5 or more absolutely unnatural-looking, thoroughly selected, waxed hairless feminine guys, all with unusually squeaky high-pitched voice, dancing around, posing in branded clothes for posters; but most of all the music was awful for me. Too simple, too easy, overly digestible pop music, made especially for commercial radio stations and tv channels like Music Television. Girls aged 10-15 were especially hooked on them, even I don't know why. 

I always preferred MEN over boys, even at this age. You know, facial hair, deep voice, masculinity, power and determination. Oh, and ROCK MUSIC.

And then came Cygnus Rock Band.

Have you noticed that ALL great stories start like that? "Then came Cygnus Rock Band"... and the result always speaks for itself!

I admit, it was a huge surprise for me when I found out that they had decided to cover a boy band. Though I found it very witty and for me it felt REALLY good that they gave it a twist already in the title. Practically they took the song and soaked it into testosterone.
I need to add though that in my opinion it's really not hard to make a Backstreet Boys (or any other boy band's) song listenable and likeable. You just need to add actual instruments and real, actual, MALE singers need to sing it. That's it. Everything else is an extra.
Additionally this cover was released at Halloween, and our favorite Colombians (and Mexicans) took the opportunity not just to make an actual rock song out of it, but they gave a spooky, underworldly atmosphere to it. 

I remember how Deneb and Ruxx told us during the live session before the release of this cover that they went to a makeup artist to get this Halloween/zombie look; how they had problems with their car coming home, how they had to stop by the road, how they needed to get a jump start for the car and how people got totally shocked on them thinking they had some awful accident with all the zombie makeup and fake blood all over them and how I personally laughed my ass off - on the story, too, but most of all how they presented it, in their absolutely lovely and funny way.

They gave a new look to the entire studio as well with fake spiderwebs, candles and a tombstone. And in this ambience and atmosphere Reny starts the song with the first tunes of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor.

These two by default suit to each other, the eerie, spine-chilling Halloween/horror/zombie surroundings and the great German composer's most famous piece. I'm not sure whose idea it was to make it the cover's intro, Reny, Deneb or maybe someone else, but it was a marvellous idea!

The atmosphere gets an extra load with ambient noises (croaking of ravens, wind, cracks)
...and then get ready for the Green Thirteen zombie attack. I promise you will love it!

Don't. Don't tell me that you have no idea what Green Thirteen refers to. Don't make me cry. For Odin's sake, why are you here then?...
Well, in case you don't know, the Green Thirteen zombies will stay hungry, because it means they can't eat your brain 😔
(they can't eat something that doesn't exist, you know) 

This cover is special in another sense as well - it's one of those rare occasions when Blu is singing the lead. He has a surprisingly powerful voice - I remember, at a time I loved to call it "evil". On one hand it will make you surprised by being suave and silky, but on the other hand there is something dangerous in it, something that keeps you on the edge. But the greatest is that Blu's voice makes a wonderful contrast with Deneb's rich baritone and Ruxx's rock/blues-soaked tenor, as the two Colombians join him for the bridge and the chorus, meanwhile you have already forgotten long ago the corny, cheesy original song. Not just because the load of masculinity and testosterone that flows down from your ears at this point as you're listening, but the raw rock base that knocks you out. Forget the danceable rhythms, the high-pitched vocals and the producers-made sounds. This, ladies and gentlemen, rock, by men, with sharp guitars, rich percussions, heavy drum crashes and nuclear bass.
As it is supposed to be.

Just listen to the rhythm section during the second verse. Or watch the very short instrumental bridge after the second chorus with the guitar and the bass. You will immediately understand what I'm talking about.

The solo feels especially good, Blu doesn't hold himself back and he gets a very strong support from the rhythm section. This good, old-fashioned rock/metal solo with heavy bass presence and nasty kickdrums, feeling almost like a balm after listening to the original song.

Yes, I did, for reference. I admit, even listening to it once was overwhelming for me. I'm not eligible for dancing Ken dolls with the voices of a 12-year-old kid. Apologies, everyone, I'm way too much a metalhead for this 😩 Since then I keep listening to Cygnus's version. Healthy, soothingly mannish, powerful, with rock overload. I love them. 💓

Reny also gets his part from the solo which makes it all even more interesting, versatile and exciting.

One more reason to listen to this cover instead of the original.

And it all feels good. It feels natural, the music is flowing, there's nothing artificial, just four talented musicians who really enjoy making a rock cover out of a pop/dance hit. And you feel good because you see them feeling good.
But do watch this video until the end, because the zombie attack continues after the solo, too. Blood-spitting, ambient noises, Ruxx's trademark legatos and ROCK.




Comments

Popular Posts