KISS - The Gods Gave Rock And Roll To You (remake)

Back then in my very early teens KISS was that band which eventually made me a rock/metal fan. I clearly remember that day, it was a sunny Sunday some time in 1989, the pillars of Communism were shivering, the Berlin Wall was about to collapse soon and in a tv show - probably by an inattentive music editor - about half a minute of KISS's "Crazy Nights" video could be on air. That was the first time I have ever heard about KISS and I remember I was just watching these long-haired men playing guitars and singing, while pyrotechnics flooded the stage and fans were going totally crazy. I remember one of the first thoughts I had was that I want to belong to such a place where it's not just that nobody mocks you for loving a band this much, not just that everyone else feels for the band like you but that it's a way of life. And all this with absolutely kick-ass music, which - and this was also an elemental part for that young teen - totally freaks out the elders around.

Then I remember the release of this song, originally titled "God Gave Rock And Roll To You". It was soon after the death of Eric Carr, the legendary Fox, KISS's drummer. Even MTV (which was called Music Television back then and it did really play music 24/7 and it was still available here, in the sadder part of Europe) has put it into their editions and shows. I remember I watched it every time with tight throat and sinking heart, knowing that this is the last video The Fox could join the band.

(It only vaguely belongs to the topic, but I want to share it with you - just to see how it was going at that time - I could get my first actual KISS album only a few years later, around 1994 or so, when a distant friend found out they had a pirate copy of KISS's "Rock And Roll Over" album in the basement. The cassette had an awful quality, it had a musty smell, and someone back then surely listened to it a lot; the tape grew thinner and clearly the deck had smashed it and crumpled it a few times. We had no other choice though, we kept copying it and lending it to each other.)

I remember I was a little bit afraid before I listened to this cover (or rather remake) first. Even though it wouldn't have been the first cover I hear from Cygnus Rock Band and earlier I could get assured that they give out only quality songs from their hands; still when it's about a band and a song that had such a great role in your life, you can't put away your emotions easily.
I had tears in my eyes while listening to it. I remember, I had to listen to it again.
Not just because of the memories, but because it swept me off my feet. Not only the high quality of their work, not only the energy, passion and power the song radiates in the interpretation of these Colombians (and Mexicans); I admit, what melted my heart for most was how Ruxx and Deneb PERFECTLY sing the lines of Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons. How Ruxx's trademark legato scream fits the song at the very end, how his drumming follows the footprints of The Fox (and how proud Eric Carr would be listening to him). How deep and rich is the sound of Deneb's bass, how the rhythm section (again) gives an extra fire to the song that is by default full of intensity and spirit.

This is also one of those songs of which I used to think they could never be exceeded, nobody can play them any better than the original musicians. Perhaps I mentioned elsewhere, but I do enjoy when Cygnus Rock Band proves that I was wrong. 💓

Every time I experience that Cygnus Rock Band covers a song that is legendary in itself, made by musicians who have been role models for generations and the result is a song that is more rich, deeper, more complex and collected than the original, plus it contains their own smaller and bigger creative ideas, ingredients and add-ons, I feel as proud as I can be that I know these musicians. I know they put their heart and soul into each and every song, cover, idea, note, beat and line. Knowing how rare it is (not just in the music industry but in general) because people usually prefer half-solutions and substitutes, the fact these people actually play their instruments and they do everything to bring the very best out of themselves, doing it all with dedication and for the love of music and art makes them this very special for me.




Comments

Popular Posts