Cygnus Rock Band & Ken Tucker - Brother Whiskey (collaboration)

Before I start to tell my thoughts about this collaboration, I have to confess to you all, I'm not much a fan of blues. I have nothing against this genre and I'm more than aware of what an impact it had and still has on the entire rock history. And needless to say, the great blues artists all have my respect. Additionally, there are moments when it feels good to listen to some blues music (guitar or piano, or both), but I'm basically a rock and metal fan.

I need to tell my own point of view about the original song as well. I will be honest without the slightest aim to hurt anybody's feelings, but the original track didn't really gain my appreciation. It isn't a bad song, but I admit, I forgot about it after 10 minutes. I'm sure though that many people like it, it's just simply not my type of music/song.

I'm also not sure how much Ken Tucker himself is known out of his line of residence. I think, in Europe perhaps only the really hardcore blues fans have heard his name, if ever. He is a very lovely elderly man residing in Indiana state of the US, playing this typical southern rock/blues. I remember once he told somewhere that he had written the lyrics of this song on a paper napkin while being somewhere out. 

Sure I'm a totally biased Cygnus Rock Band fan - and I'm proud of it! - and I can declare it with all my heart and soul that it did the best to this (for me a bit forgettable) song that our beloved Colombian wolves together with their Mexican brothers took it in their hands and pumped a load of the secret Cygnus spice into it. Right in the beginning it starts hard and sweeping, with the absolute rule of the rhythm section.

Yes, I think that's what is mostly missing from the original one. Not just this though, more about that later.

For me the very first thing that is crystal clear after listening to this song is how very much our two Colombians feel this genre. In my mother tongue there's an expression that can be translated the best with the English word "paddling", when someone enjoys swimming in a water so much that they splash, jump around, sprinkle water around themselves enjoying it fully. This is my impression about Ruxx and Deneb, they are like two musicians paddling in the great water of blues, not just bringing out the best from themselves, not just showing their improvisational, creative and sometimes even virtuoso sides, but they absolutely enjoy it and it's amazing to see them and hear them like that!

And the best is yet to come!

Blu shows right in the beginning how much a versatile guitarist he is and how easily he can adjust to the most different genres. Ruxx's powerful drumming is paired by Deneb's absolutely irresistible bass playing. 

How these two Colombians can play, rock and groove together... this song is the absolute proof!

Reny brings the usual, reliable harmonies at the beginning, but he will have a much greater role in this song a bit later.
Then the humane voices enter.
This song is without a doubt ruled by Deneb. After his virtuoso talent showed itself already in the song's intro, Deneb starts to sing. I admit, I confess this to you, dear Reader, I have never thought Deneb feels the blues on such a level. The shades of his mellow, rich baritone all shine bright, his voice is solid but subtle and warm.

I can totally imagine him singing blues on this deep, warm voice full of emotions in a small, smoke-and-whiskey-soaked place on a tired, dull Friday night, accompanied only by a piano and perhaps some minimalist drums. I'm sure even the hardest stone-hearts would melt up by his singing and even the most embittered, most hopeless, most whiskey-soaked residents would secretly wipe a tear from their long-dried-up eyes listening to him.

Reny's role at this point is already huge. His keyboards combined with Deneb's vocals give a brand-new tone to the song. Bringing the usual harmones as well as improvising while everyone's favorite bassist shows a so far unknown side of his talent is the secret gem of this cover.

The second verse is sung by Ken Tucker himself. For me it's clear that being joined by these Latino musicians was refreshing for this very experienced guitarist. He is singing and playing with much more power than in the original song, seemingly enjoy the company around himself. He gets a lot of support by Reny, who adds a bit of Hammond organ sound to the song at this point.
And there comes the solo.
I love it. I love the fact that three different musicians play the solo part, one after the other. The first part is obviously of the songwriter. 
Then enters Reny. I find it a wonderful, very creative idea to play a part of the solo on keyboard. It gives a refreshment to the original song, while the Mexican can finally show his talent. And surprisingly the keyboard solo perfectly blends in with the song, it doesn't sound odd or weird - new, it does, creative, it does, absolutely huge and fantastic, it definitely does!
Blu closes the row of solo players with his usual elegance and great routine.

The end of the solo, with all those virtuoso tricks by the other musicians though 😍

And enters Ruxx.

In fact he has been around in the whole song. Not just by drumming by default but with all the other percussions he keeps playing throughout the entire cover. I won't tell you what he plays, because you kindly open up your rusty ears and learn to listen to music. Additionally, Ruxx doesn't just play with other percussions, sometimes hiding them behind the other instruments, sometimes flashing them right into your ears just to disappear in the next moment. Ruxx also does a lot of his trademark tricks and musical ornaments throughout the entire track.
Again I won't tell where and how, because you will nicely listen to the song again and again and again and discover it all by yourself, because this is the least you can do for these musicians who put a lot of hours, work and dedication into this cover.

Ruxx takes all the rock/blues/soul dirt and dust he has in his throat and lets them flow. It's unbelievable and sensational how much he feels it all. All his fellow musicians support him, Deneb with the massive, hard, juicy bass tracks, Reny with the amazing improvisations and Blu with his usual elegance. Ruxx is singing, wildly and irresistibly

I swear he should perform in stadiums with this voice
together with these other musicians

and in the chorus the brasses enter.
I don't know whose idea it was to add brasses to this song, whether it was Deneb, Reny or anyone else. But it was the very best thing

the third very best, because the very best is Deneb's performance AND Ruxx's performance on a shared 1st place, then comes Reny

that could happen to this song. They create a rich, almost festive atmosphere, and at the same time - as it is something very typical for Cygnus's covers, and you can see this in their own songs as well - they give the listener a catharsis-alike experience.



Comments

Popular Posts