Boston - More Than A Feeling (cover)

Interesting that even though this song is a classic from the 70's, my first ever encounter with it was in 1990 when it was the background music of a commercial on one of those foreign tv channels that rapidly got popular in my country through the cable tv networks that appeared here right after the collapse of Communism. I try to remember back but I have no memories about Boston being mentioned in any of the media outlets here.

These media outlets back then were mostly printed magazines that were full of propaganda and they usually had a very small "music" section at the last pages. Those tv or radio shows that were allowed to play any rock or metal music at all were on air only once a month, for 20 minutes or maybe half an hour, and since the censorship was very heavy, they played only fragments of rock/metal songs. I don't miss these times at all.

I remember when I heard this song in that commercial, I fell in love with it, but a long time had to pass while I could hear the entire song. (You know, it was all before the internet, you either caught the song you'd been searching for on the radio or on one of the music tv channels - or not.) It was worth the waiting. I loved it, it got into my ears deeply - no, it's not one of those song that changes the world, but definitely uplift the listener any time you hear it. And sometimes really that's all you need.

When I heard this cover from Cygnus Rock Band first, I remember I was excited to give it a listen. At that time I had already heard a small number of covers from them as well as their own songs and I knew I could expect quailty and something that we, fans started to call "the special Cygnus spice". It's that extra, secret ingredient this band always adds to their cover songs that gives extra power, passion and fire to any song they play - no one really knows what this spice actually is (apart from the band members of course) but you can feel the presence of it whichever cover you listen to.

This cover doesn't just include this special Cygnus spice, giving the original song an explosive, raw energy, but the key member here is definitely Ruxx. The way he sings, especially the high notes, but most especially the legatos, the sharp, rock/blues power of his voice and the way he is letting it flow made this cover for me even dearer than the original song. The other members all add their best to it; Blu's guitar is in charge for the rawness, Reny brings the harmonies, while Deneb is the solid rock of the band with his reliable, deep bass sounds. 
It will definitely make you feel happier. Believe me.


Comments

Popular Posts